I-95 Section CPR (I-95/CPR)
Reconstruct and widen 1.4 miles of I-95 between the Cottman Avenue and Bridge Street interchanges, including the Cottman Avenue Interchange.
Section CP1 construction was completed in 2012. Mainline reconstruction and widening under the final section, CP2, has finished. Construction remains underway on surface street improvements in the vicinity of the interchange.
CPR Project Overview Map
I-95/CP1 - Construction Completed
Construction Cost: $34 million
General Contractor: Tony DePaul & Son, Blue Bell, PA
Construction Start: April 2009
Construction Completion: September 2012
This phase included:
- Construction of a new southbound on-ramp from State Road at Longshore Avenue (right);
- Removal of the existing southbound on-ramp from Princeton Avenue;
- Construction of a new northbound on-ramp spur from Milnor Street that connects with the existing northbound on-ramp from Princeton Avenue;
- Improvements to Princeton Avenue between Torresdale Avenue and State Road (below) that included installation of traffic calming features (curb bump-outs) and a painted bicycle lane. Princeton Avenue was converted from a one-way eastbound to a two-way road at the completion of improvements;
- Widening and reconstruction of Cottman Avenue to include one lane eastbound and two lanes westbound from State Road to Torresdale Avenue. Vertical clearance under the AMTRAK overpass near State Road also was increased to 14' 6";
- Widening of State Road to two lanes southbound, one lane northbound, between Cottman and Princeton avenues.
I-95/CP2 - Under Construction
Construction Cost: $212.3 million
General Contractor: Walsh Construction Company II, LLC, Cannonsburg, PA
Construction Start: November 2012
Construction Completion: 2017
This phase includes:
- Reconstruction and widening to four lanes of the I-95 pavement and seven (7) bridges between Bleigh Avenue and Levick Street;
- Construction is being completed in three stages: Southbound side, Median area, Northbound side;
- Replacement of mainline bridges over: Bleigh Avenue; Northbound Off-ramp over Cottman Avenue; Northbound On-ramp over Princeton Avenue; New State Road; Longshore Avenue; Unruh Avenue; and Magee Avenue.
- Construction of a new southbound on-ramp from Cottman Avenue;
- Widening and improvements to the southbound off-ramp to Bleigh Avenue;
- Building of 14 Retaining Walls adjacent to and supporting I-95;
- Replacement of an 84” diameter Philadelphia Water Department water main under Wissinoming Street between Cottman and Princeton avenues (right);
- Replacement of a 126” diameter Philadelphia Water Department sewer culvert on Wissinoming Street between Cottman and Princeton avenues;
- Upgrades to I-95's ITS (Intelligent Transportation Systems) network;
- Reconstruction of New State Road between Milnor Street and Princeton Avenue;
- Extending Princeton Avenue as eastbound-only under I-95 from State Road to Milnor Street.
Mainline construction of CP2 is scheduled to be completed in late 2016. Improvements on surface streets will continue into 2017.