Clearing Underway East of Richmond Street; Utility Work Expected to Start West of Interstate
PennDOT's contractor for construction of I-95/GR1 has begun clearing the area immediately east of Richmond Street between Cumberland Street and Lehigh Avenue. Richmond Street will be reconstructed on a new alignment in this cleared area following about 15 months of utility relocation, billboard removal and excavation.
Construction also is expected to begin this month to rehabilitate the superstructure of the Girard Avenue Bridge over the Aramingo Avenue northbound spur that was constructed at the interchange during the initial construction contract at the interchange (GR0) in 2010. Eastbound traffic will be maintained on the bridge during construction, but westbound Girard Avenue will be detoured between Richmond and Fletcher streets during work on the bridge.
Work to relocate gas, water and sewer mains in the neighborhood just east of I-95 also is scheduled to get underway in December. Excavation for the new lines will require short term closures on the following streets:
- Ann Street, between Richmond and Edgemont streets;
- Edgemont Street, between Ann and Seltzer streets;
- Seltzer Street, from Edgemont Street to west of Thompson Street;
- Thompson Street, between Seltzer Street and Lehigh Avenue; and
- Lehigh Avenue, between Thompson and Richmond streets.
Construction on the water line is expected to proceed beginning on Lehigh Avenue and work its way toward Thompson, Seltzer, Edgemont and Ann streets. Gas line construction is expected to proceed from the opposite direction beginning on Ann Street.
Get the GR1 Utility Work Flier here.
I-95/GR1 is the next stage of reconstruction of the Girard Avenue Interchange and adjoining sections of I-95 in Philadelphia. James J. Anderson Construction Company, Philadelphia, is the general contractor on the $91,261,198 GR1 contract.
The I-95/GR1 contract includes:
- Reconstruction and widening of Richmond Street on its existing alignment between Aramingo Avenue and Cumberland Street;
- Reconstruction and widening of Richmond Street on a new alignment shifted east between Cumberland and Ann streets;
- Replacement of two (2) Conrail bridges over Richmond Street near Lehigh Avenue with four (4) separate structures with new Conrail tracks;
- Reconstruction, a half-at-a-time, of the Girard Avenue bridge over the northbound Aramingo Avenue spur;
- Extensive utility relocations along Richmond Street and adjacent streets to the west;
- Intersection improvements along Richmond Street at Girard Avenue, Cumberland Street, Sergeant Street, Huntingdon Street, Lehigh Avenue, Somerset Street, Cambria Street and Ann Street;
- Deployment of Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) devices -- dynamic message signs, traffic cameras, travel-time sensors, etc. along arterial routes adjacent to I-95 between the Broad Street and Betsy Ross Bridge interchanges.